Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome to Roma!

Arch of Constantine
The Colosseum and the sunset!
WOW! I cannot believe that I am seeing this!
Well, I made it to Rome! Upon arriving to the Fiuminco/Roma airport, my plane taxied into the runway then we waited forever to deplane. I then took a shuttle bus to the main terminal where we waited an hour (no joke) for luggage- just standing at Carousel 10 waiting, waiting, FINALLY luggage! Welcome to Italy where everything is on someone else's time schedule! This airport is a 30 minute train ride from the center of Rome. It is a beautiful ride through the countryside to the center of the city... and when you step out of the train station instantly you are out of the country and onto the tight streets of Rome, covered with people, cars, scooters and lined with shops, hotels and restaurants galore! After wandering around the streets of Rome for an hour (with my backpack on and turning my map around and around), I finally oriented myself and made it to the Saint Maria Maggorie Basilicia- the neighborhood where my hotel is. Thankfully, I found an information booth and the nice, good looking Italian guy pointed me in the right direction- only two blocks away- to my hotel. I was so close to finding it on my own- Rome is so confusing! My hotel is typical Italian decor and the single room is super tiny, but it is perfect for just me. After settling in, I decided to walk around my area and get oriented. I walked all the way to the Colosseum. When I turned the corner and saw the massive structure before me I nearly lost my breath. My steps grew quicker and I had this goofy smile plastered on my face. I am such a typical tourist, and I immediately started snapping photos! I walked all the way around it and over to the Arch of Constantine... both are such amazing structures and still standing after all these years! After my journey to the the Colosseum I ate Roman Pizza (sooo tasty) and now I am relaxing in my hotel until tomorrow. I have a busy three days ahead of me as I take in as much Roman history as I can stand and of course, do some shopping... (not too much mom, don't worry!) Ciao friends! -- Nikki

1 comment:

  1. I loved Rome! Way better than Florence, imo :) The physical reminders of the history of the city throughout it just blew me away. I felt like such a tiny speck in the universe, but not in a bad way, in a really comforting way. Anyway, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete