Monday, February 22, 2010

Sking in Austira- Day 1

Welcome to Ischgl, Austria- where the ski slopes are plentiful! We arrived about 6:20pm on Saturday after 9 hours on two different trains! All that sitting and shuffling of luggage was worth it after setting my skis on the most magnificent slopes I have ever seen. In the cable car ride on the way to the top of the mountain I told my friends that, "I hope I don't cry because I feel kind of emotional right now." Why they asked. "Because I love, love, love to ski and right now we are actually in a cable car heading to the top of the Alps...". They both laughed.
It is absolutely stunning here. And I am in awe of the amount of snow covered terrain there is to cover- including a lift that takes you across the border and into the Swiss Alps. (That, we decided, is to be done on Wednesday!)

This is a view as we rode up the cable car. On Saturday, upon arrival and check in, we went walking around the center to find a place for dinner. When you look up to the sky you can see the mass peaks of the mountains towering above you. In the cable car, you watch all around you as you begin to rise toward the mountain top where there are what seems like a million lifts all around that lead to a million more lifts to explore the mountain! A skiers dream!
As most of you know, I turned 30 on Thursday the 18th. This ski adventure is yet another way to celebrate the beginning of a new decade. I bought myself another new ski jacket as a gift to myself- a cherry red North Face shell perfect for layering under in the snow or the coming-soon and seemingly never-ending Prague rain. So far we have had a great day skiing and today the forcaste has a light snow in it and we are set to ski another section of the mountain. Gotta go eat- the fresh bread was delivered an hour ago 9remember that Kelli?)- Anne has made scrambled eggs and Carrie made coffee! More to come... Love Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment